Hemp milk is extremely easy to make, and it not only tastes better, it’s more economical than store bought hemp milk.
I use this as a base for my smoothies, poured over oatmeal or Ezekiel cereal, and usually can’t resist it just on its own. It’s high in protein (this recipe provides 7g per cup), making it an excellent post-workout drink or smoothie base. I use 2 cups as a smoothie base, for a nice 14g of morning protein! Hemp milk makes a great dairy-free alternative to regular milk.
Aside from protein, hemp also contains healthy fats, like the anti-inflammatory omega 3s, as well as a plethora of beauty minerals that support our hair, skin, and nails. This recipe only uses dates as a sweetener, delivering extra fiber and nutrients without the downside of refined sugar. You’ll find this homemade hemp milk is much creamier than store-bought, which is heavily watered down.
I typically make 4-6 cups at a time, put in ball jars, and refrigerate. It will last for 4-5 days (if you don’t use it sooner!).
Here is my homemade hemp milk recipe :
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup hemp seed
- 8 pitted medjool dates (or more depending on desired sweetness)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender*, and blend on high for 1 minute, or until pletely smooth. Pour into sealable glass jars and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Will last for about 4 days.
- *For those with a regular blender, you may need an extra step: if your hemp milk is not liquidy enough, use a nut milk bag or cheesecloth to separate the liquid from any seed/ date particles.
- 1 cup water: 1/4 cup hemp seeds: 2 dates
Webtec is a holistic nutrition and wellness coach who uses real food to help her clients improve their health, weight, and skin. She offers a healthy eating meal plan that teaches you how to batch cook, as well as one to clear up acne. She has ongoing group workshops both in NYC and , and writes healthy and delicious plant-based recipes for her popular blog. She is also the author of the #1 New Release on Amazon, The Real Food Grocery Guide, the most practical guide to selecting the healthiest foods, without going broke, which has been praised by Dr. Oz and InStyle magazines. You can find her on