Want something more flavorful than water but healthier than carbonated water? Enter the Aqua Fresca, a fruit and water based drink.
I grew up in a family of seltzer drinkers, and used to drink it in place of water. After all, how different could water with bubbles be? Turns out very different. See my latest article, Science Shows Carbonated Water Makes People Hungrier.
So, whether you need a healthier alternative when breaking up with your sparkling water habit, or simply want to jazz up your water, try your hand at making an Agua Fresca.
Why Try an Agua Fresca?
An agua fresca is a great alternative to juice, for two reasons – one it’s half water, and two it is blended, so you still get all the pulp/fiber.
How to Make an Agua Fresca
Below you’ll find the simple instructions for making an aqua fresca. (It’s simply blending 1 part fruit to 2 parts water, adding a squeeze of lemon or lime, then serving over ice or as is.)
You can use any bination of fruit you like, but here are some of my favorite binations:
Top Aqua Fresca Combinations
Cucumber + Mint + Lemon
Honey Dew + Cucumber + Lemon
Watermelon + Lime + Mint (optional)
Pineapple + Lime + Mint (optional)
Honey Dew + Lime + Basil (optional)
Try This Aqua Fresca
If you try this recipe, let me know which one you made and how you liked it. Leave a ment, rate it (by clicking the stars in the upper right of the recipe card, below), and don’t forget to tag a photo @mariamarlowe or #mariamarlowe on Instagram or Facebook. I’d love to see what you e up with!
- 1 cup fruit of choice*
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime or lemon juice (squeeze of about 1/4 of lime or lemon)
- 2 large mint leaves (optional)
- Blend fruit and water (and mint if using) in a blender until a uniform liquid is formed. If you use berries or fruit with pits, you may need to pour it through a cheesecloth or nutmilk bag to remove any, but otherwise you won't need to strain. Pour over ice or serve as is.
- * Some favorite bos include: Cucumber + Mint + Lemon / / Honey Dew + Cucumber + Lemon / / Watermelon + Lime + Mint (optional) / / Pineapple + Lime + Mint (optional) / / Honey Dew + Lime + Basil (optional) / / Cantaloupe
- You can easily scale this recipe up to make a pitcher to keep in the fridge.
Webtec is a holistic nutrition and wellness coach who uses real food to help her clients improve their health, weight, and skin. She offers a 28-day healthy eating meal plan that teaches you how to batch cook, as well as one to clear up acne. Her most popular program is , a 10-week online group glass that guides participants to develop healthy eating habits that stick – and lose weight, boost their metabolism, improve their digestion, and quit sugar.
She writes healthy and delicious plant-based recipes for her popular blog. She is also the author of the #1 New Release on Amazon, The Real Food Grocery Guide, the most practical guide to selecting the healthiest foods, without going broke, which has been praised by Dr. Oz and InStyle magazines. You can find her on